"WHERE ARE WE NOW?"
Regardless of where you or your group are in the planning sequence, the current extraordinary circumstance confronting all of us at this time dictates that it is critical to conduct a comprehensive assessment ‘NOW!’
Following is a short-form model of a corporate assessment tool prepared by the TRG Team. To receive the full assessments forms, plus directions for use, Contact Us.
Natural Tendencies to be avoided:
Potential Assessment areas/questions:
- Pride of effort: "We are already doing that... next", when the result is poorly understood, ineffective or virtually abandoned
- Also shows up as: "We’ve got one of those"
- The tendency to cherry pick from the list without first setting overall priorities
- What is the environment surrounding your industry?
- Is there a surveillance activity manifested as a priority?
- As a frequent Leadership Team or BoD agenda item?
- As a regular reported item? At what frequency? To what level within the enterprise?
- Where is your group in the Planning Cycle?
- Is the current Plan truly "current"?
- What is the current Internal Planning Cycle?
- How is the current Plan managed?
- How is Ownership assigned?
- With what frequency is the Plan reviewed / adjusted?
- Are due dates carefully tracked?
- How is information gathered and reported?
- Is there a clear process for authorizing and communicating Plan revisions?
- What circumstances require emergency adjustments to the Plan?
- Are current financial reporting systems adequate?
- Is the information current, timely, and accurate?
- Is there a person among the senior leadership or on the active BoD with advanced Financial Literacy?
- If you are trimming specific areas of the Budget (e.g., Marketing, Employee Fringe Benefits, Capital Investment), how will you measure the long-term impact?
- Is the BoD currently (systematically) conducting a process of self-evaluation (Peer Review)?
- Is there an expectation of how each individual BoD member might make a meaningful contribution? For example, in a non-profit environment, do the Directors actively participate in fund raising?
- Does the company have a Regulatory Compliance Plan and Compliance Officer aimed at meeting requirements and avoiding pitfalls?
- Is there a formal Succession Plan in place for key positions in the company?
- If a succession plan does not exist, what is likely to occur in the event of sudden loss of Leadership?
- Talent: Assuring the availability of skills through recruiting, training, and a functional organization
- Will the combined talent / awareness of the staff fully meet sudden demands?
- Is the current staffing at the proper level to meet sudden demands?
- If business has been lost due to the economic situation, is there a Plan for how staffing levels should be pared back accordingly?
- Are there specific environmental circumstances that require an immediate review of your Marketing Plan (e.g. sudden economic downturn)
- How (if at all) has the current economic downturn affected your current Marketing / Advertising plan?
- How have you adjusted strategically to account for the sudden changes in consumer spending behavior? (Is there a Planned adjustment)
- Are you up to date on competitive Media Methods, taking into account the tactical changes client companies have made in accommodating shifting market conditions?
- Should you re-negotiate long-term vendor packages to adjust for a soft Media Market?
- Is there readily accessible market-segment research in place regarding your current positioning? The positioning of your competition?
- Can you strengthen your trade relationship with strong, focused promotion?
- What differentiates your brand from similarly-situated products/services?
- Do your current products project solid, "essential" characteristics? (This is a time of very selective spending by organizations or individuals; if what is offered by any corporation or organization has the slightest taint of seeming frivolous or superfluous, it runs the risk of being passed over - particularly true for membership organizations.)
- Do you understand how the trade views your brand? Who are your Competitors?
- Which brands do you believe are most vulnerable?
STRATEGIC PLANNING | LEADERSHIP DEVELOPMENT | ASSESSMENT